Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Project ; The '34 Chevy. (Chapter 1)

So let me remember back to the beginning. I believe it was a Saturday. A brisk Saturday, and not freezing but a bit brash for California in August...

I was sitting back in my chair enjoying an evening smoke, the McClelland i believe, actually a good year the 2009 Christmas Cheer, they brag it to be "Handblended, premium pressed Virginia flake tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity. This 2009 blend is made with a special selection of beautiful, sugary, deep orange South Carolina Border Belt flue-cured Virginia from the 2003 crop." How could that not be amazing, anyways im getting off point, my apologies... I digress.

So there I was reclined at chair reading the evening paper. Now by the evening paper I mean a good book, and by good book I mean my laptop mowing over the h.a.m.b. as one often does these days...

So there i sat looking for possible Eddie Edmunds intake manifolds for a straight six, seeing if I could find perhaps a set of firestone bias ply white walls. It seems when I get to looking for parts it comes with a seriousness, almost a regimented format to look at the most adds as quickly as possible to be able to see as much as I can. That wasn’t the case this evening. I contemplate now I must have been in quite a calm mind set to just be whimsically clicking on interesting posts, and laughing at peoples avatar photos. Perhaps I was just reading signatures at the bottom of peoples posts...

Anyhow, it was at this point i believe i blacked out. Don’t be alarmed, it happens quite a bit to me. Now this isnt a standard black out its my subconscious that goes into cruise control while my routine continues on unaffected...It’s a slow gradual warm, loss of consciousness that gradually takes over starting with you ears, you stop hearing the outside, and then moves to your eyes, then fingers, then WHAM! It all stopped on a dime. I mean reality hit my like the blitz in '41, I was floored. Somehow in those minutes of euphoria I had landed in the cars for sale classified thread and was looking at a 34 chevy 5 window. Surface rusted to shit, missing expensive parts, on a trailer 5 hours away, and absolutely magnanimous. This old boy was the manifest of every form that the virtues could become themselves into a tangible objective image. This car looked like it was on its death bed in an old hospital but still wearing its faded uniform proudly reflecting the bars showing captains rank. I new I had to rescue him.

(It is worth noting, not a lot of cars are hims. most are hers, but with the amount of regal character this car possessed it was clearly a bearded retired man of influence oozing sophistication and a stubborn will to survive.)

After a few calls and emails, and about 15 hours, i had him in the garage. It is important for me to mention that at this moment I felt that I truly understood the purest form of potential. This moment of man meets car, became the moment that i was transformed back to my childhood and the part of my brain that is uncontrollable with creativity and excitement for what could be, fired up again. Here in this moment, it had begun.

That week I went with a couple friends to the Early Ford Swap at the
Paso Robles Fairgrounds. I made out with a pair of front bones, dropped front axle, a pair of kelsey hayes, and on the way out spotted a original hood in the back of an old timers truck...he parted with it for 200 dollars.


No comments:

Post a Comment