Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Chapter II

Part II, i would read part I for this to make sense...


So here I stand, in the garage, looking at the Captain. Actually through a slip of the tongue by one of my kommrades, the car has been affectionately named, "The Baron of Bad News". Priceless...

The work began with the simple, grinding of the surface with paint cookies... Now it is worth mentioning here that its at this stage that you see the vibrant steel of the body underneath the years of rust as it begins to shine through. To finish a section of the car and find beautiful American steel from 1934 hand crafted to this point, I mean steel older then my father, just perfect in great shape and a lot of it, is a feeling that is almost spiritual. Not to get sappy but when the simple work you can do reaps something that shines like fine jewelry, you see the importance of pride and time and patience in the things I do. Building a car can really be like your first real love, it’s a event that consumes your mind with all the complexities and shadings of real love out in the world. The scents stay with you, the touch of the car, and even the pain is the most rewarding hurt you’ll ever feel. I challenge anyone who would say that building a car isnt these things.

So piece by piece the Baron began to clean up, like changing his clothes or taking a good bath. The age began to disappear. As my friends and I sat there, we contemplated what this car would want his new life to entail. What would he pick, if he could, for himself. I feel some cars are gorgeous in their original condition, some are perfect restored. Some cars are unbelievable as a custom, and some are just meant to be hot rods. But I know that not all cars can be anything, if you do, its like forcing yourself on a beautiful woman who may be saying she wants it, but you can tell its only her attempts to forget someone else before you... its just un natural and you feel bad for them and dirty for being there and a part of it.

Thinking, waiting, thinking, and more thinking, and listening for what was right... and then he spoke, and I mean the Baron, he said to me in a mental telepathic way, I mean he flat out told me; now I also think this came at this point because perhaps he had to trust me, and with those hours of sanding and cleaning, he felt that he could be honest with me, and he said, "I want to run fast again"...
Now that was all I needed, the flood gates opened, I knew what I had to do and what he was entrusting me with... This car was meant to be a Bonneville style racer. It was as if he had missed that part of his life and knew we could get there together. I knew this was something that had to be done tasteful for his age, it should be a true period correct hot rod to the 50's... Almost to not ruin the dream this car has himself! It was like he knew what it was to be a racer in the 50's and 60's and he didn’t have what it took back then and he was held out, now he knows he can do it and hes entrusting me to bring him there. And wow, what a responsibility for me, I mean this one friend of mines' dreams entrusted totally to me, I had to do it right, the first time.
So for the first leap... the chop was begun, and it had to be handled carefully and period correct to what the baron wanted...






No comments:

Post a Comment